Monday 29 March 2010

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My media product to some extent conforms to the hegemonic values of a music video through it's use of matching editing and pace.

However, it also challenges the conventions by:
- Having very little miming, and no clear storyline.
My genre (experiemental music) does not have a set list of conventions but I wanted to completely ditch this perception of the genre being 'weird'. In general, I wanted to subvert the connotations of a mainstream video. I feel I have successfully done this. I have created a very 'filmic' piece, which is slowly becoming more common, but it is still rather obscure in my opinion.
My actress did not wish to mime and a performance based video was the last thing I wanted. I shot quite a substanial amount of piano footage and soon realised it was heading in the direction I did not want it too. Once I heard the lyric "When I was a child..." I decided I wanted to incorporate child footage and a narrative was born out of this.
-Looking very cinematic, considering it's genre is usually considered very low-budget.

- It's use of timelapse photography.
Throughout the video, there is several, brief sequences where this occurs. Two sequences of Hannah and two of traffic, one being out of focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment